Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Drifting

Tonight, as I read my kids thier daily devotional, it really gave me pause. The story was about a dad and his daughter out fishing. As they drifted away from the middle of the lake, the dad uses that moment to speak with his daughter about how easy it is to drift away from God.
This is so true for me as a mom. It's so easy to get caught up in my daily activities. My worries and my "to do" list. So easy to rush through my prayers when I'm tired. So hard to not let my ramdom thoughts interfere with my focus during my prayers. So easy to speak the words and not think about what they really mean. So hard to remember to lift my thoughts to God throughout my day.
I feel like this is what happens to a lot of people. It's easy to do in a world that is so shallow and focused on instant gratification. It happens so gradually and quietly. If you are lucky, you wake up one day and wonder how you let yourself become so seperated from God.
So today, I promise myself and my God that I will take 30 minutes a day. I will use it for quiet contemplation and reading/study about my faith. I will take a moment each day to think about how close I feel to God. How about you? Are you drifting?


Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.
Colossians 3:2


( I use Keys For Kids as thier daily devotional. I receive a booklet in a 2 month format and my kids love it. You can find it at www.KeysForKids.org from CBH ministries.)

No comments:

Post a Comment